Setting The Mood For Writing







How I Like To ‘Set The Mood’ - Writing




       I love writing... Most of the time. Sometimes it drives me insane, especially when words are just refusing to flow, and you end up staring at a page for eternity. It happens. Instagram posts, stories, blog posts, and also in my creative writing. Sometimes, it happens so frequently it becomes disheartening and I find myself avoiding writing.
I found a little way to help me overcome that which is to set the mood. You don’t have to do this, I just find if my space is enticing enough I will sit down just to enjoy the atmosphere. So if you want to help set a mood for writing here are some ideas! You don’t have to do all of these and many can be adjusted to your personal preference or circumstance.


       1. Lighting

          I find lighting is one of those things which we don’t really think about while writing. We can write with artificial lighting, candles in the dark, by the window, next to a cosy lamp. Personally, I like natural light, although I used to be a huge candlelight fan!

       2. Seating

          On the floor, at a desk, on the bed, couch even? I like to think I’ll be writing for a while so I’d pick somewhere comfortable if you can. You don’t want to get stiff too quickly! Make sure you watch out for your posture though! I forget to do this a lot I’m afraid, so don’t do as I so!

       3. Food and drink

          Oooooo. Possibly my favourite part. I love snacking while I’m writing. I find I write better too! For obvious reasons I’m not suggesting you eat sweets (at least not all the time....) Maybe slice up some apple? Nuts? Anything you want really! As for drink I have an odd feeling the majority of people would like something hot. Just try not to forget about it, or don’t mind drinking it cold! Also, make sure if you’re sitting on a bed you have a safe place to put it. We don’t want any mishaps!

       4. Clothing

          Not something I always think about I’ll be honest, and sometimes we can’t just make a spontaneous outfit change. Personally I love being comfortable when I’m writing, but also not too slouchy as I find if it’s too relaxing I won’t feel as productive. Also, if you get a surprise visit in the middle of the day you don’t want to be caught with your oldest pyjamas on. But if you really want to then go ahead!

       5. Music

          Music can really make or break my flow of writing. It can also influence my writing. I find if I listen to sad music my writing will reflect that. So I try to pick music based on what’s happening in the story. So if say it’s a forest scene I’ll put on nature sounds. There’s plenty of these on YouTube. I find for blogging I can listen to whatever I want. Maybe you don’t want that nature sound stuff at all and want to listen to whatever you want. Then go ahead!

       6. Write With A Clear Mind

          So, what I mean by this is don’t write when you know you’re supposed to be doing something else. This is your allotted writing time, and you want to enjoy it without interruption. So get those dishes done, put on the laundry, then sit down and relax. I’m not saying you need to have your entire to do list done, because otherwise there would never be time to write.

       7. The Great Phone

           Our phones can give us inspiration, however it can also be a great distraction and motivation killer. For each person this is going to be different. Just be conscious of how much your phone enters your writing time. I like to use YouTube on my phone while writing. I’ll put on my music then leave it. I don’t have YouTube premium so if I close the app to look something up the music goes. Which I actually really like, I can keep my phone with me, but I’m not tempted to touch it.

       8. Shake Things Up

          Don’t get stuck creating your writing space. There’s always room for something new and different surroundings. Take your writing out to a cafe. Have a writing date with a friend. Maybe write a chapter down with pen and paper.



       And that’s all the tips I have for you at the moment! I had a lot of fun with this post, it was nice doing something really light hearted and I hope you enjoyed it too! Let me know what you do to set the mood for your writing, or if you don’t do anything yet let me know what you’re going to try and implement. Leave a comment below or get in touch with Instagram or even Twitter! I’d love to hear from you! Byyyyyyeeee!

Comments

Popular Posts